Friday, January 22, 2016

Who Am I?

Hello,

My name is Stephen Kistler.  I currently am a Senior at BASIS Scottsdale.  In the upcoming fall, I will be attending Colorado School of Mines, an engineering focused college located in Golden, Colorado (for those unfamiliar with Colorado geography, Golden is just west of Denver).  I was also born outside of Denver, and lived there for the first ten years of my life.  As you would expect, I am pretty excited to return for college.
Golden, Colorado (from Colorado.com)

Now that’s all great, but it still doesn’t tell you much about me.  For that I’ll go over my interests a bit. Academically I am interested in engineering (what a surprise based on the college I choose right?). More specifically, I am choosing between mechanical engineering and petroleum engineering, with the hope of finding a way into the energy sector.  Why the energy sector? Well mostly because I feel that some of the greatest challenges facing our society today lie there, and I would like to attempt to help solve them.  Oh, and there are jobs in that sector.  Shockingly, I also have interests outside of academia.  I love sports, both playing and observing.  I’ve played a ton of sports from soccer to basketball to baseball and try to get up to the mountains to go skiing whenever I can (for the record, skiing is better than boarding, sorry but it’s the truth).  As far as what sports I watch, I am a fan of most sports but especially football and hockey (Go Broncos, and Go Avs).  And yes, I still cheer for the Colorado teams over the Arizona teams.  Sorry Cardinals.  I also enjoy reading.  A Song of Ice and Fire, the Game of Thrones series for the non-book readers, is currently my favorite series.

Ah but you guys are here for my research project.  I am still working on finalizing some details and as such only have so much information to share.  What I can share is that I hope to be working at an energy company in California.  My exact work is still not yet finalized but I hope to be doing work in relation to the refinery process of oil or natural gas.  Overall, I am excited about the prospect of working in the field that I plan on entering as well as gaining experience and insight into it.  I do have to thank Mrs. Bailey (my vector calculus teacher) and her father for this opportunity, as they provided the connections and pointed me towards the company.

Anyways, that’s a bit about me and what I plan to be working on.  I hope to be able to give a fuller picture as to the exact details of my research as it becomes more finalized.

Stephen

4 comments:

  1. Sounds cool so far! I can't wait to hear more about what you will be doing.

    And snowboarding is way better!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to hear more about it when everything is finalized! And yeah I'm going to have to agree with Komal on this one, snowboarding is much better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds really cool! I actually agree with you on the skiing thing- it's way better than snowboarding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love your blog's layout. It fits well with your interests, and what your research project will be about.

    To add to the conversation, I have failed miserably at both skiing and snowboarding, so I am neutral on that topic!

    ReplyDelete